Friday, April 25, 2008

TappedIn - a web based learning environment

"Never regard study as a duty, but as the enviviable opportunity to learn to know the liberating influence of beautyin the realm of the spirit for your own personal joy and to profit of the community to which your later work belongs." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)


Last night, I went online to http://www.tappedin.org/ one of my favorite online educational sites, and I chatted with my colleague and friend who is a leader/guide of the TappedIn team (and my TappedIn guru). I started to explain my blog project and how I am writing it to encourage colleagues to begin to imagine how we might use the Internet and Web 2.0 tools for professional development. I asked her how I might go about getting the attention of my colleagues and then engaging them to comment and to return to this blog - and other sites that I might lead them to. Her response was ... "ahhh the million dollar question!". She recommended some other Ed Tech PD blogs, and we talked a little longer.

We talked online in the reception area of TappedIn.org.

Tapped In is a Web-based learning environment created to transform teacher professional development. I would like to recommend that you go to http://www.tappedin.org/ and sign in as a member. This link (http://tappedin.org/tappedin/web/help/ui.jsp) -the user interface -will give you all the information you need to get started and into the "reception area" where a guide will be ready and waiting to show you around - and there is a lot to see!

There is a "search" tab in the top right hand corner of the main page. If you type in reginal (my user name) you can link to my office. On the left side of my office window there is a purple column that lists my notes, files, links, discussions, and whiteboard. Leave me a note or a message on the whiteboard if you visit my office. When you sign-in and become a member of TappedIn you will automatically have your own office space as well.

One of the greatest features of TappedIn are the After School Online professional development meetings/instructional sessions. Link from here to the calendar for April and May.
http://tappedin.org/tappedin/do/CalendarAction?ROOM_ID=&Zone=&Month=3&Year=2008&state=displayExtCalendar

You can also schedule meetings for your own group in your own office or in another office space on TappedIn. There are so many possibilities.

No comments: