Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Reflecting on STar In-person Inservice

"If facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Yesterday, I completed an extensive reading in-service training for Delaware ABE and ESL educators. Two very highly qualified, engaging trainers provided three two-day STar Reading training sessions over the course of the past six months. http://www.startoolkit.org/
I cannot begin to describe all that they taught nor all that I learned about teaching intermediate level adult learners to improve their reading skills.

Yesterday, the last of the six day sessions, I spoke to the thirty-some participants (educators, program administrators, staff development folks, and state administrators. I very briefly told them about my return to grad school and about this blog. I asked (pleaded with) them to link to it, read it, reflect upon it, and respond with comments. I would really like to encourage my colleagues to use this space as a place to collaborate on issues that relate to our professional development.

Last night, I also completed and submitted my project proposal for this project - this blog project. What I realized as I finished it was that each time I had edited and added to it, my ideas for the project had changed - but I used the word "evolved". It was a little painful in fact because I had made so many attempts to "finish" the assignment. But, by the end of the evening and after submitting what I referred to me as my most recent "work in progress", I did calm down as I came to realize that all of our works are "works in progress".

I came up with a term that I used in my proposal.... Internet Enabled Collaborative Learning Tools (IECLTs). I want to investigate and share what I learn about these kinds of tools as I continue to post to this blog. I sincerely hope that my colleagues and/or others who find their way to this site feel very encouraged to respond/comment to what I share. I am actively seeking collaboration.

I may post again later this evening, but I will leave for now with a few questions.

  • What information might I share that will encourage you to respond and return on occasion to this blog?
  • How much time to you have in your day to read, reflect and respond?
  • Are you comfortable with the format of blogs, and/or how "user friendly" is this one for you to navigate?
  • How interested are you in changing the way you "do" professional development - to include Internet enabled PD opportunities?

Thank you for taking the time to read this afternoon's post. Please look forward to "coming attractions"!

Gina

3 comments:

K. King said...

Gina-
I found your blog easy to navigate and find blogs, in general, easy to use. I have several friends and family members who use blogs for online, easy communication between colleagues and family members so I am somewhat accustomed to the process. I will check back on your progress and look forward to the collaboration. Good luck with your project! Don't get stressed out! Kristi

Adult Prison Educator said...

Kristi,
Who me, stress???
Thanks for checking in.
GL

rosesmith said...

I too like this blog. Will use this blog to communicate with my friends and relatives.
==========================
susan

How to Retain Your Super Star Managers